Here are some Lord's Supper preparation notes I wrote in preparation for our 4/18/2010 assembly. I am posting them on April 3, 2011.
Read 1 Cor. 11:23-26. We are to eat and drink in remembrance of Jesus. In the past, I've been guilty of focusing narrowly on remembering Jesus' death and resurrection during the Lord's Supper, but I don't think that is the point of Jesus' statements to remember Him. This is what prompted my question:
- What is your favorite memory of Jesus?
Examples mentioned included:
- Healing of the ten lepers (Luke 17:11-19) and the paralyzed man (Matt. 9:1-8).
- Feeding of the 5,000 (John 6:1-14).
- The tender love and concern that Jesus shows in comforting those who are afraid.
- Matthew 14:25-27; 17:1-8; Revelation 1:10-17
- John 15:15
- Why do you love Jesus?
- Zeal (John 2:13-17)
- Anger (Matt. 23)
- Love (Matt. 22:37-38)
- Compassion (John 11:1, 5, 14, 17, 32-44)
- Perseverance (Luke 9:51; 22:41-46)
- Forgiveness (Luke 23:34)
- Self-control (Matt. 4:1-11)