These are my notes from our 8/7/2011 church meeting.
Leader: Philip Weatherford
Bring 1 favorite song about Jesus dying for us and thoughts on "Why should honesty and integrity be important to us?"
671 - He Carried My Sorrows
Honesty appears only 9 times in the NKJV translation.
Honest weights and scales are the LORD’s; All the weights in the bag are His work.
Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.
Integrity appears 21 times in the NKJV translation.
Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!”
5 “If I have walked with falsehood, Or if my foot has hastened to deceit, 6 Let me be weighed on honest scales, That God may know my integrity.
7 So the congregation of the peoples shall surround You; For their sakes, therefore, return on high. 8 The LORD shall judge the peoples; Judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, And according to my integrity within me. 9 Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, But establish the just; For the righteous God tests the hearts and minds.
20 Keep my soul, and deliver me; Let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You. 21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You. 22 Redeem Israel, O God, Out of all their troubles!
11 But as for me, I will walk in my integrity; Redeem me and be merciful to me. 12 My foot stands in an even place; In the congregations I will bless the LORD.
11 By this I know that You are well pleased with me, Because my enemy does not triumph over me. 12 As for me, You uphold me in my integrity, And set me before Your face forever. 13 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel From everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen.
8 The wise in heart will receive commands, But a prating fool will fall. 9 He who walks with integrity walks securely, But he who perverts his ways will become known. 10 He who winks with the eye causes trouble, But a prating fool will fall.
2 When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom. 3 The integrity of the upright will guide them, But the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them. 4 Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, But righteousness delivers from death.
1 Better is the poor who walks in his integrity Than one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.
6 Better is the poor who walks in his integrity Than one perverse in his ways, though he be rich.
Paul to Titus
6 Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, 7 in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, 8 sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.
Why is Honesty and Integrity Important?
- It is impossible for GOD to lie. He expects us to be like Him, therefore we should not lie either.
- GOD hates those who have lying tongues: 16 These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: 17 A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, 19 A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren. (Prov. 6:16-19)
- A person who fails to tell the truth cannot be trusted. If I want to be trusted by others, I must be a person of integrity.
- People who win in life, relationships and with money are people of integrity.
- "A person who'll lie to you will steal from you. Someone who'll steal from you will kill you."