Notes and discussion questions for 1 John 3.
- The fact that we are called children of GOD is a huge sign of the love GOD has for us.
- We don't yet know what our form will be in eternity, but we will be like GOD and see Him as He is. (See Rev. 22:4)
- Verses 4-9 can be confusing with regard to the references to sin. I believe the point is that, when we abide (that is, to stay) in Jesus, we will not walk in sin (Rom. 8:1). The one who sins, according to these verses, is one who walks in sin. It is not saying that you never make mistakes and commit a sin; rather that your life is not characterized by walking in sin. Verse 10 makes this point, I believe -- "whoever does not practice righteousness" is of the devil, not GOD.
- The one who does not love his brother:
- Is not of GOD. (1 John 3:10)
- Abides in death. (1 John 3:14)
- Is a murderer. (1 John 3:15)
- Does not have eternal life abiding within them. (1 John 3:15)
- Cain killed Abel because Cain's works were evil and Abel's were righteous.
- Expect the world to hate us.
- We know what love is because Jesus laid down His life for us.
- If we see our brother in need, and we have the means to help him but we don't, the love of GOD doesn't abide within us. We can't just love in word but also in action.
- If our heart condemns us, GOD is greater than our heart, but if our heart doesn't condemn us, then we have confidence towards GOD. What a blessing!
- The righteous receive those things that they pray for, because of their righteousness.
- This is GOD's commandment:
- Believe on Jesus' name.
- Love one another.
- In what ways does the fact we are children of GOD show GOD's love for us?
- Why does being a Christian cause the world to hate us?
- From GOD's perspective, why would it be important for people to love their brother?
- Have you ever seen someone in need and passed up the chance to help? At the time, what caused you to pass up the opportunity to help? How did you feel afterward?
- How can we ensure we don't pass up chances to help others?
- Explain 1 John 3:19-21.