Notes and discussion questions for 1 John 1.
- John witnessed Jesus first-hand. He saw Him in the flesh and touched Him with his hands.
- Jesus is the Word of life, something John discussed previously in chapter 1 of his gospel account.
- He was with the Father.
- He is eternal life.
- Through Jesus we have fellowship with the Father.
- These truths should fill our lives with joy! We are so small and insignificant, and GOD is so high, exalted and holy. Yet GOD desires a personal relationship with me! Amazing!
- GOD is light and completely without any darkness. As a result, if we want to have fellowship with Him, we must walk in light and not in darkness. If we do otherwise, we are liars.
- If we walk in the light:
- We have fellowship with one another.
- The blood of Jesus cleanses us of all sin.
- If we pretend we have no sin:
- We deceive ourselves.
- The truth is not in us.
- We attempt to make GOD a liar.
- GOD's word is not in us.
- By contrast, if we confess our sin, GOD is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness.
- Describe how meaningful it must have been for John to have experienced Jesus physically.
- In what ways do you think John's memories of time with Jesus affected his outlook on life?
- What does John indicate should be the Christian's response as a result of having fellowship with GOD and Jesus?
- How is it possible for us to deceive ourselves regarding our own sins?
- What does confession mean?
- How much unrighteousness does the blood of Jesus forgive for the one who walks in the light?
- What impact should the truth of GOD's grace have upon the Christian? Upon the Non-believer?