These are my notes in preparation for our 2/2/2011 church meeting.
Leader: Raymond Harris
Study: Mark 8:1-26. What do we learn about Jesus in these events? In seeing Jesus what do we learn about God? (John 14:9) What lessons do we learn about mankind? And thus about ourselves?
What we learn about Jesus
- Jesus didn't mind teaching for a long time (three days).
- Jesus has great compassion, caring about others. It was for this purpose He was teaching, and it is for this purpose He feeds the people.
- Jesus is constantly moving, active and busy.
- Jesus didn't waste His time on those (Pharisees) who had hard hearts.
- Jesus was patient, albeit frustrated, with the apostles in the face of their inability to see that He was well able to provide food for them.
- Jesus is unpredictable – "Things never happen the same way twice, dear one." —Azlan, Prince Caspian
What we learn about GOD
- It is important to GOD that we understand, see and trust Him.
- With the assumption of allowing "free will," even GOD is unable to melt the hearts of all people.
- GOD's view of the religious leaders is far different than man's.
- Despite our shortcomings, GOD is patient with those who have their heart set on Him.
Lessons about Mankind
- We're slow to perceive and our faith is small.
- It is possible to put up with some discomfort (hunger) in order to be fed spiritually.
- When people see Jesus, they are attracted to Him.
- People are looking for healing.
- It is possible for even those closest to GOD to miss truth.