Notes and discussion questions from Period 10 of the Life of Jesus: The Rise of Opposition.
- Mark 2:13-14
- Matt. 9:10-13; Luke 5:29-32
- Luke 5:33-39
- John 5:1-3, 5-29
- Matt. 12:1-8; Mark 2:23-28
- Matt. 12:9-14; Mark 3:1-6; Luke 6:6-11
- Matt. 12:15-21; Mark 3:7-12
- Luke 6:12-19
Jesus is in Capernaum
- As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee a large crowd gathered and He taught them. He saw Matthew (Levi) and called him.
- Matthew held a party for Jesus at his house.
- Jesus ate with a large crowd of tax collectors.
- The Pharisees and teachers of the law scoffed at Jesus for eating with sinners.
- The Pharisees ask Jesus why His disciples don’t fast when John the Baptist’s disciples did.
Jesus travels to Jerusalem for “a feast of the Jews”
- Many think this was Passover 28 AD.
- On the Sabbath, Jesus went to the Pool of Bethesda and healed a lame man who had been unable to enter the pool quickly enough after the water was stirred.
- The Jews persecuted Jesus because they felt He was “breaking the Sabbath”.
- Jesus taught them how He and the Father are unified and those who believe the Son will have life given them by the Father.
Jesus returns to Galilee
- (note: we aren’t told this explicitly, however, by Mark 3:7 Jesus is back in Galilee.)
- Jesus and his disciples plucked grain from the fields on a Sabbath.The Pharisees again accused Him of breaking the Sabbath. It is here that Jesus refers to David eating the showbread in the tabernacle and the priests performing their duties on the Sabbath.
- On another Sabbath Jesus went into the synagogue and healed a man with a withered hand.
- The Pharisees plotted with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.
Jesus and His disciples withdraw to the Sea of Galilee
- A large crowd from Galilee followed. As news spread of Jesus’ actions, many came from Judea, Jerusalem, Idumea, Tyre, Sidon and across the Jordan River.
- Jesus healed a great number of people, including those with demons.
- He taught the people from a boat.
- Jesus went up on the mountain and prayed all night. In the morning He chose 12 apostles from His disciples.
- He went down with them and a great crowd gathered and Jesus taught them and healed their diseases.