Notes and discussion questions from Period 8 of the Life of Jesus: Jesus' Early Work in Judea, Samaria and Galilee.
- John 1:35-4:54
Jesus is in Bethany
- John the Baptist was baptizing in Bethabara (Bethany) “beyond the Jordan”.
- Andrew and Simon Peter follow Jesus.
Jesus travels to Galilee
- Jesus calls Philip and Nathanael to follow Him.
- Jesus attends a wedding in Cana of Galilee, where He performs His first miracle: water turned to wine.
- What does Mary’s statements in John 2:3, 5 teach us about her knowledge of who Jesus is?
Jesus goes to Capernaum
- Jesus stayed several days with his mother, brothers, and disciples.
Jesus goes to Jerusalem
- Jesus attends the Passover of 27 AD, the first of four during His ministry.
- Jesus makes a whip of cords and cleans out the temple.
- Jesus says, “Destroy this temple, and in 3 days I will raise it up.” (John 2:19)
- Jesus did many signs during the feast and many believed on His name.
- Nicodemus (a Pharisee, member of the Sanhedrin) came to Jesus by night.
- Jesus taught Nicodemus about being reborn in order to enter the kingdom of heaven.
- What does it mean to be born of the water and the Spirit?
- Explain Jesus’ statement in John 3:8.
- How does Jesus relate Himself to the bronze serpent Moses raised up in the desert?
Jesus goes to the Judean countryside
- Jesus' disciples baptized there (John 4:2).
- John baptized in Aenon near Salim.
- Explain John’s disciples’ concern in John 3:26.Explain John’s reply.
Jesus goes to Sychar in Samaria
- Jesus stopped at Jacob’s well because He was tired.
- Jesus asks the Samaritan woman for a drink.
- In what ways does Jesus give us living water?
- When is the promise fulfilled that we will never thirst?
- Explain Jesus’ statements regarding true worshippers in John 4:21-24.
- In what ways is doing GOD’s work food?
- The woman went and told the men of the city and they came and talked with Jesus.Many believed on Him.
- Jesus stayed there, at their request, for 2 days.
Jesus goes to Galilee
- The Galileans received Jesus because they saw many of His signs at the Passover feast.
- It is here that Jesus said how a prophet has no honor in his own country.(John 4:44)
Jesus goes to Cana
- A nobleman travels to Jesus and Jesus heals his dying son without going to the nobleman’s home. The nobleman had faith at Jesus’ word and, upon returning home, found out that the boy recovered at the same time Jesus told him he was well.
- This was Jesus’ second miracle.