Discussion questions for a character study of Samson.
Reading: Judges 13-16
1. Describe the circumstances surrounding Samson’s birth.
2. Imagine yourself in Manoah’s wife’s situation. How do you think you would react when the angel appeared to you?
3. What is a Nazarite?
4. What was Samson’s purpose in life?
5. Were the Israelites commanded not to marry women of other nations? (If yes, list the scripture.)
6. Considering Samson’s character, what lessons can we learn from the fact that GOD used Samson for His purpose?
7. Considering all of GOD’s chosen leaders in the Bible, in what ways is Samson unique?
8. What were Samson’s strengths and weaknesses?
9. Based on what the Scriptures reveal, describe Samson’s relationship with GOD.
10. If you could have given Samson one piece of advice, what would it be?
11. What can we learn from Samson and Delilah?
12. In Judges 16:28-31 Samson asks GOD to give him back his strength so that he can kill the Philistines by knocking down the temple where they were assembled. GOD grants this request but in doing so, Samson also killed himself. Does GOD therefore condone suicide?
13. Compare and contrast Samson and Jesus. What are the similarities? What are the differences?