The following notes are from our church assembly on 12/5/2010. My understanding regarding some of these promise passages has changed since.
GOD's word is full of promises to His children. What is your favorite promise passage within the Bible? Bring your scripture and a song and we'll discuss them.
My first choice is 1 Cor. 15:50-58 but I fear others might also select this passage so I'm choosing three others.
- Mark 16:16 – He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
- Phil. 3:20-21 – For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.
- Rom. 6:8 – Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him
- 34 – For You Have Promised
- 360 – Standing on the Promises
- 361 – In His Time
- 510 – I Will Not Forget Thee
One of the first promises of GOD occurred after Adam and Eve sinned in Eden. Gen. 3:14-15 says:
So the LORD God said to the serpent: “Because you have done this, you are cursed more than all cattle, and more than every beast of the field; on your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life. And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.
We see the enmity between the woman's Seed and the serpent's seed played out in John 8:28-47. And the final conquest (the crushing of Satan's head) foretold in Rev. 20:1-10.
Others' Scripture Selections
- Isa. 41:10
- Ps. 27:14
- Isa. 57:15
- Heb. 13:5
- Ps. 103:8-14; Isa. 41:10; 1 Cor. 15:58
- Matt. 7:9-11
- Heb. 13:5; Josh. 1:5, 9; Titus 1:2
- Gen. 6:9
- Matt. 7:7-8
- Gen. 6:9
- Phil. 3:20-21
- John 3:15-17