These are my notes from our church assembly on 12/12/2010. My understanding of the passages referenced from Revelation below has changed since.
Leader: Philip Weatherford
How is it we are to know that Jesus dwells in our hearts?
- The Holy Spirit abides with us, dwells in us (John 14:16-18).
- Jesus is in the Father and in us (John 14:20, 17:21).
- The Father and Jesus make their home with us (John 14:23).
- Jesus' disciples may be one in the Father and the Son (John 17:21).
GOD does not dwell in temples made with hands (Acts 7:48, 17:24), but our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and He dwells in us (1 Cor. 3:16, 6:19; 2 Tim. 1:14; Jam. 4:5; Acts 5:32).
- Those in which the Holy Spirit dwells are not in the flesh (Rom. 8:9).
- The Holy Spirit is called "the Spirit of Christ" (Rom. 8:9).
- The Holy Spirit is called "the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead", which is the Father (Rom. 8:10).
- Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God (Rom. 8:14).
- The Holy Spirit makes intercession for saints during prayer (Rom. 8:26-27).
- Yahweh/Jehovah (Father, Word and Spirit) dwells in us (2 Cor. 6:15-17; Eze. 37:26-27).
- Saints are collectively referred to as stones which construct a temple in which GOD dwells in the Spirit (Eph. 2:19-22).
- Jesus dwells in our hearts through faith and we are filled with "all the fullness of God...according to the power that works in us" (Eph. 3:17-21).
- In Jesus dwells "all the fullness of the Godhead bodily" (Col. 2:9).
- Jesus' words are to dwell in us (Col. 3:16).
- The Father will dwell among us in heaven (Rev. 7:15-17, 21:2-4).
- Do not quench the Spirit (1 Thess. 5:19).