Philippians 2:9-11 – Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Acts 16:16-18 – Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, “These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation.” And this she did for many days. But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And he came out that very hour.
- Reflect On: Philippians 2:9-11 and Acts 16:16-18
- Praise God: For manifesting His power and authority through Jesus, His Son.
- Offer Thanks: For the surpassing power of Jesus Christ.
- Confess: Any occasions on which you have taken the Lord’s name in vain.
- Ask God: To lift up the name of His Son in your life.
There’s power in the name of Jesus, even wonder-working power. But the name “Jesus” is not some kind of magical incantation. Invoking it is not like rubbing a lamp to conjure a genie. No, the power of the name Jesus is released when people earnestly cry out to Him and when they live in submission to Him.