- Jer. 51:59; 50:1-40
GOD gave Jeremiah a message which was to be sent to the captives in exile in Babylon regarding the coming destruction of Babylon.
1 This is the word the LORD spoke through Jeremiah the prophet concerning Babylon and the land of the Babylonians: 2 “Announce and proclaim among the nations, lift up a banner and proclaim it; keep nothing back, but say, 'Babylon will be captured; Bel will be put to shame, Marduk filled with terror. Her images will be put to shame and her idols filled with terror.' 3 A nation from the north will attack her and lay waste her land. No one will live in it; both people and animals will flee away.
4 “In those days, at that time,” declares the LORD, “the people of Israel and the people of Judah together will go in tears to seek the LORD their God. 5 They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it. They will come and bind themselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant that will not be forgotten.
(Jer. 50:1-5 NIV)
GOD gives several reasons why Babylon will be destroyed:
- Her people are given over to idolatry (Jer. 50:38).
- They were guilty of devouring GOD's people (Jer. 50:7, 33-34). Clearly GOD intended to use Babylon to punish Judah for their wickedness; however, it seems that Babylon went far beyond the will of GOD in their punishment (Jer. 50:17).
- They sinned against GOD (Jer. 50:14, 29).
- Babylon opposed GOD (Jer. 50:24, 29).
- Babylon destroyed the temple of GOD (Jer. 50:28).
- Her people were arrogant (Jer. 50:31-32).
GOD wanted to comfort His people by telling them in greater detail that Babylon will pay for their mistreatment of His people and that GOD has not forgotten them and, in due time, will free them again.