- Sincere Motivation
- Motive and the Heart - Prov. 15:11; 16:2; 17:3; 20:11, 27; 21:2; 27:19
- False Worship - Prov. 15:8, 29; 21:3, 27
- Duplicity - Prov. 6:12-15; 10:10-11; 11:3; 16:30; 20:14; 23:6-8; 26:23-26
- Concern for Others
- Love and Faithfulness - Prov. 3:3-4; 16:6; 20:6; 25:19
- Love, Hatred, and Compassion - Prov. 10:12; 15:17; 17:5; 24:17-18; 25:21-22
- Kindness and Mercy - Prov. 11:16-17; 12:10, 25; 21:10; 25:16-17
- Concern for Self
- Pride and Humility - Prov. 11:2; 12:9; 13:7, 10; 15:25; 16:5, 18-19; 20:9; 21:4, 24; 22:4; 25:27; 26:16; 27:2, 21; 29:23
- Selfishness - Prov. 18:1
- Jealousy - Prov. 27:4
- Envy - Prov. 14:30; 24:19-20
- Greed - Prov. 28:25
The English word "pride" can mean multiple things; however, in the Bible, pride is having a very high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority. This form of pride is always a bad thing. GOD would have us be humble instead of proud. Despite being GOD in the flesh, Jesus displayed incredible humility.
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
(Matt. 11:28-30 NKJV)
Thankfully GOD has taught us a lot about pride and humility, and a number of the Proverbs deal with the subject. Pride brings disgrace, but humility brings about wisdom. The proud often pretend to be something they are not. They might pretend to be more important or valuable than they really are. Pride brings about arguments, but wisdom is found in those who listen and take advice. The LORD protects the humble person, but destroys the proud man's house. GOD detests those who are proud in their heart, and they will be punished.
Pride comes before destruction and a fall. Humility comes before honor. There is no one who can say they have kept their heart pure and free from sin. Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life. We should not desire to be honored by others. The lazy man is wiser in his own eyes than seven wise people. Don't "blow your own horn;" let others praise you. A man's pride will bring him low, but a lowly man will be honored.
Pride is of the devil (1 John 2:15-17). He wants us to look around and want others to view us as being great—to look at our accomplishments, our trophies, and our possessions and gloat in our heart rather than give thanks to GOD, from whom all blessings flow. Take the wisdom of GOD—be humble!