- Psalm 88; 91; 95; 108; 109
As we journey through the Psalms, our daily focus is upon what we learn of GOD. Today’s reading begins with Psalm 88, which is a song from a person who was dying and wondering if GOD hears him. It focuses upon the discipline of GOD, possibly for multiple reasons, but clearly as GOD uses physical death as a punishment and consequence for our sins. In this Psalm it says that GOD:
- Saves me.
- Has put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths.
- Has put His wrath upon me and overwhelmed me with His waves.
- Has taken me from my closest friends and made them turn away from me.
- Rejects and hides His face from me.
- Has taken my friends and loved ones from me and made darkness my closest friend.
It is important to recognize that we die because we live in a sin-cursed world and we sin ourselves. Despite GOD’s promise to always be with us and never forsake us, we can still feel very much alone at times. I believe Psalm 88 is an expression of those feelings of being alone.
From Psalm 91 we learn that GOD will:
- Save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.
- Cover you with His feathers.
- Provide refuge under His wings.
- Shield us with His faithfulness.
- Command His angels to guard you.
- Rescue him because he loves GOD.
- Protect him because he acknowledges GOD’s name.
- Answer him when He calls upon GOD.
- Be with him in trouble.
- Deliver and honor him.
- Sustain him with long life and show him GOD’s salvation.
From Psalm 95 we learn that GOD:
- Is the Rock of our salvation.
- Is the great GOD, the great King above all gods.
- Holds the depths and the mountain peaks of the earth in His hand.
- Owns the sea because He made it.
- Formed the dry land with His hands.
- Is our Maker and our GOD.
- Cares for us as the people of His pasture.
- Was angry with the generation of Israelites who left Egypt because of the hardness of their hearts.
- Was angry with them.
- Refused to allow that generation to enter His rest.
From Psalm 108 we learn that GOD:
- Has so great a love for us that it is higher than the heavens.
- Has faithfulness that reaches up to the skies.
- Has spoken from His sanctuary.
- Will give us the victory and trample down our enemies.
From Psalm 109 we learn that GOD:
- Loves us out of His goodness.
- Stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save his life from those who condemn him.